1. CAN ANY FEMALE ENTER THE MISS BLACK AMERICA PAGEANT?
Any female who is biologically and physically born of the female gender between the ages of 9 and 29 years of age can enter the Miss Black America Pageant. Adults must be High School Graduates or equivalent (GED). All Contestants must show proof of age. An applicant may be a citizen of any state or country providing she has resided in the United States for a period of three months, or is a student in the city wherein she competes in an official MBA Pageant.
2. WHY SHOULD A SISTER ENTER THE MISS BLACK AMERICA PAGEANT?
Becoming a part of the sisterhood of Miss Black America is an undeviatingly cherished and coveted honor. An honor which is shared by some of the most distinguished and successful Black Women in the world. SOMBA offers a head start on a successful life, and provides the Seed of Positivity, an infinite opportunity to jump miles ahead of her contemporaries.
3. HOW DOES AN APPLICANT BECOME A PART OF THE SISTERHOOD OF MBA?
(1) An applicant must first of all take the Miss Black America Oath of Positivity; (2) She must pledge to become a Seed of Positivity in the Sisterhood of Miss Black America by competing in a Final Miss Black America official Local Pageant, or the National MBA Pageant Competition.
During meetings and rehearsals for the MBA, she is known as a seed of Positivity (SOP), and after she has competed in the finals, she becomes a flower of Success. Once she competes in a Local or National MBAP, she becomes a permanent sister in the SOMBA. Additionally, her experiences with the SOMBA do not end at that juncture. She continues her participation in the MBAP on an annual basis, and she introduces others to the positive experiences to which she has been introduced, exposed and experienced in the SOMBA.
4. WHAT IF SHE PERSONALLY WANTS TO PAY CASH TO THE MBA PAGEANT TO COVER THE COSTS OF
MBA SPONSORSHIP FEE, TRAVEL & LODGING & HER PERSONAL PAGEANT EXPENSES, THIS,
INSTEAD OF SECURING POSITIVE PARTICIPATION DONERS FROM FAMILY, FRIENDS &
In the event she decides to pay the $800.00 Sponsorship Fee Personally, she is nevertheless prompted to generate positive supporters for her efforts from family, organizations and business associates in order that she will have people come to the Final MBAP and support her participation in the Sisterhood of Miss Black America. Its good psychology to have a team of supporters at the final event to support a contestant’s winning efforts
5. WHAT ARE THE AGE CATEGORIES OF THE MISS BLACK AMERICA PAGEANT:
Little MBA 9 to 12; MBA Teen 13 - 17; Adult Miss Black America - 18- 29
6. IS THERE ONE PIECE OF LITERATURE EXPLAINING EVERYTHING ABOUT THE MBA PAGEANT, AND THE SISTERHOOD OF MISS BLACK AMERICA?
There is no single brochure, or piece of literature which includes everything about the Pageant. The Entry Procedures, the MBA Applicant's Agreement and the TV Release provide the basics. However, as various steps in the MBA Pageant process are taken, MBAP Literature precedes the specific step in the MBA Pageant process in which contestants fall.
7. WHAT IF THE SPONSOR OF A CONTESTANT –AT-LARGE WRITES A CHECK TO MBAP WHICH EXCEEDS THE PAGEANT'S SPONSORSHIP FEE REQUIREMENTS?
The MBAP will deduct the sponsorship amount and reimburse the contestant for the over payment
8. FOR WHAT ARE THE MBAP APPLICATION FEES USED?
Proceeds from MBAP Contestant Application Fees totaling $50.00 from each contestant, are used to pay the costs of processing contestant applications. For example, in order to respond to a sister's specific questions regarding the MBAP, it involves work from an institutional executive, a local and national clerical staff, the electronic mailing departments. In addition to helping defray the high cost of processing applications, the $50.00 fee serves as a deterrent to Those who would waste the MBAP’s time and money in processing their applications, when, in fact, they are not serious about entering the SOMBA as contestants.
9. FOR WHAT IS MBAP REVENUE FROM SPONSORSHIP FEES USED?
The revenue from Contestants At-Large who are required to generate an $800.00 MBA Sponsorship Fee to enter the MBAP National Final Pageant is used for pageant promotional expenses as follows: National Production start up costs, Administrative, and Clerical Expenses; Printing Costs; Show Production Costs; Office Supplies; Office Rent; MBAP Venue Rentals; Building Maintenance; Communications Equipment, Office Equipment; Equipment Maintenance; Telephone Expense; Cost of Press and Publicity; Advertisement Costs; Web Site Maintanance; Travel Costs; Utilities; Insurance; Volunteer Expenses; Legal Expenses; Accounting Expenses; and various sundry Miscellaneous Expenses.
10. ARE THERE MEANS BY WHICH THE MBA PAGEANT CAN HELP A SISTER BARE HER SPONSORSHIP FEE, TRAVEL, FOOD, LODGING, AND THE PERSONAL EXPENSES WHICH SHE WILL INCUR PARTICIPATING IN THE MBA PAGEANT, SUCH AS, A GOWN, TALENT OUTFIT, AND PROPS?
(a) The MBAP provides the tools & guidance for a sister to generate all the funds necessary to compete on any level of the MBAP.
sisters will be provided official MBAP material which will enable her to secure 20 Positive participants to donate $40.00 each to pay the $800.00 Sponsorship Fee.
(b) Extra funds may be generated for the contestants’ personal expenses.
After paying the Sponsorship Fee, the MBA Contestant may use MBA Tools to secure an additional 20 Positive Participants to donate $40.00 each to generate another $800.00— of which she retains the revenue to cover travel, lodging & personal expenses; additionally,
(c) Specific MBA Tools & Materials are provided to contestants for businesses.
These MBA Tools and literature are used to cause Positive Participating businesses to donate all, or partial amounts of the sponsorship & personal expenses to support the Contestant-At-Large. These business or organizations may participate on one of three levels: Diamond Participant donates $800.00’ Golden Participant donates $400.
11. WHAT SPECIFIC BENEFITS MAY A SISTER EXPECT FROM HER PARTICIPATION IN THE SISTERHOOD OF MBA PAGEANTRY?
The SOMBA offers participating sisters between the ages of nine and twenty-nine the use of the MBA Pageant's stage on which they can display their talent; the pageant's microphone is offered to Seeds of Positivity as a means of airing their views; and the MBA Pageant's platform is provided on which these ladies are displayed as universal symbols of pride. All of the resources of the MBA Pageant are offered exclusively for SOP's personal benefit to use in any manner they see fit, providing no rules or regulations of the MBAP Policies are violated.
The SOMBA offers the SOP an exclusive enrichment and personal development program to insure success in life as well as in the Miss Black America Pageant.
12. I AM FROM AN EXTREMELY SMALL, SINGLE PARENT HOME WHICH IS UNABLE TO PROVIDE ME THE SAME FINANCIAL SUPPORT THAT A SISTER WHO RECEIVES SUPPORT FROM A LARGE FAMILY. ARE THERE EXCEPTIONS TO THE FINANCIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR A PERSON OF MY FINANCIAL MEANS?
Upon becoming a soror in the Sisterhood of Miss Black America, your resources will have ascended to a higher economic level than are inherent in a large family, or a family with vast resources. Your independent existence will extend to a level far superior to dependency on your family for support in all your levels of activity. The Sisterhood of Miss Black America will show you in a step by step process, with or without family support, how to accomplish all the objectives necessary to more than successfully satisfy the financial requirements of the Miss Black America Pageant, and the financial requirements of a successful life.
13. MUST ALL MISS BLACK AMERICA CONTESTANTS COMPETE IN SWIMSUITS?
Only the Miss Black America Teen Contestants, and the Miss Black America Adult Contestants must compete in swimsuits.
14. CAN A TALENT ROUTINE BE PERFORMED WITH AN ACCOMPLICE, SUCH AS SINGING A DUET, OR BY USING AN ACCOMPLICE IN THE BACKGROUND?
No, contestants are judged singularly, and on their individual talent performance.
15. CAN CONTESTANTS IN THE LITTLE MISS BLACK AMERICA PAGEANT COMPETE IN MORE THAN ONE TALENT CATEGORY?
No, contestants in the Little MBA Pageant can only compete in one talent category.
16 . DO CONTESTANTS IN THE LITTLE MISS BLACK AMERICA PAGEANT COMPETE IN A SWIMSUIT COMPETITION?
No, Little Miss Black Americas do not compete in swimsuits.
17. WHAT SPECIFIC PERSONAL DOCUMENTS DOES THE MBA PAGEANT REQUIRE FOR A CONTESTANT TO BE ACCEPTED?
Each SOP must provide (1) a signed MBA Application (Parents or Guardians of Applicants under age 21 must sign the MBA Applicant's agreement) (2) verification of age; (3) a recent photograph; (4) a $50. registration fee or fee waiver; (5) adults between 18 & 29 must provide verification of a high School Education, equivalent (G.E.D.).